The keto flu

All information I have seen regarding the keto flu warn me to expect feeling pretty lousy around days 3-5 into commencing the diet. According to dietdoctor.com, symptoms include:

  • fatigue*
  • headache
  • irritiability
  • difficulty focusing (“brain fog”)
  • Lack of motivation
  • dizziness
  • sugar cravings
  • nausea
  • muscle cramps

So far, I have not really experienced any of the above symptoms (you’ll have to double check with my husband and kids re irritability) and this could mean one of 2 things; that they are yet to arrive, or that I am possibly not cutting enough carbs. I am hoping that it is the former possibility, as I am going to great lengths to stay under the 20g of daily carb intake. I also really hope my calculations are correct. I am not adhering to strict meal plans, which means I am spending more time doing calculations myself, but allow me to choose preferred foods or cheaper alternatives.

The one symptom I do seem to have experienced today is a decline in physical performance, most notably during this morning’s run. It’s not completely unheard of for me to set a slower pace, but with having a rest day yesterday and a good level of fitness under my belt, I was quite surprised at how much I began to ‘hurt’ around the 3km mark. I’m usually just starting to hit a wall around 4.5/5kms. The GPS signal was weak for the first 2kms, so the distance recorded is incorrect (I actually ran 6kms), but the time is correct. I’m usually under 6min/km.

Image-1.jpg

I am not put off by this, as I take comfort in the following quote from dietdoctor.com

“Dr. Steve Phinney has conducted studies in endurance athletes2 as well as obese individuals3 demonstrating that physical performance decreases during the first week of very-low-carb eating. Fortunately, his research also shows that by week 4, people typically perform better than before they started keto.”

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects

I will continue to look for signs of the ‘flu’ over the next few days. If I haven’t experienced anything matching the symptoms listed above by the weekend, I might re-assess my diet and look into the recommended meal plans provided on my preferred site. It is difficult to know whether my calculations are correct, as I have received some conflicting nutritional information about a number of ingredients I am eating.

For the record, I am still motivated to keep up with the diet and haven’t found it too difficult as yet. I think the true test will be when I go back to ‘reality’ and return to work. This holiday lifestyle really is such a luxury in terms of time. Even working from home sets you up so well for maintaining new food habits – a kitchen and fully stocked pantry and fridge have definitely ‘saved my bacon’ when hunger pangs have hit. However, I am hopeful that my firmly founded habit of meal prepping and packed lunches will make the transition back to work less challenging than it might otherwise be.

Feeling good.

*I felt fatigued yesterday, but am much revived after a good night’s sleep.

 



from ketogenic-diet « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2m7gEPC
The keto flu The keto flu Reviewed by Health And Fitness on July 11, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger.