My brother is desperate to lose weight and gets stuck in yoyo cycles because he goes on extreme diets. Can anyone who's been through this give me some advice on how to help him?
My brother has been a bit depressed lately but he goes through phases where he gets quite motivated to change his life, proclaiming that this is the time he'll finally lose weight. He never lasts a week because he'll go on a diet that is definitely not sustainable for him personally, for example going from 300g+ carbs to keto overnight, or going from 3 meals a day to 1 meal at night. Or on a rare occasion he lasts more than a week, he loosens his grip a lot once he sees the slightest progress, and gains it all back.
I tell him to make small changes over time, like improving his sleep and drinking more water but he calls me a health nut (I do regularly tell him things like don't stare at a screen at least 1 hour before bed, and try not to drink water from plastic bottles; quite nit-picky things he thinks). He says don't worry, I know what I'm doing.
His main issues are his terrible daily habits; gaming late into the night or watching movies till late, which makes him hungry so he orders food. Being glued to a screen while eating so he just shovels food into his mouth without really realising if he's full (I watched him eat once, and he stared at his screen the whole time, didn't even once look at the food he was eating). I only see him drink a small cup of water a day. Lastly, going on extreme diets which make him binge later on and gain more fat than before.
Is there any way to help him? Or is this something he needs to realise himself? Because he's been like this for 1-2 years, his health is deteriorating quickly and I really don't know when he will ever realise because he's definitely not even close to realising anything after 1-2 years of the same yoyo cycle.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2J5ir5N
No comments: