213lb-158lb (55 lbs). How I did it and kept it off!

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/L7CoDkc

I lost over 50 lbs throughout 2021, but more importantly, I was able to redefine who I am through the experience. I used to think that being fit or looking hot is only reserved for genetically gifted beings that can eat whatever they want, live however they want, and still look great. In early 2021, I came across a podcast episode that discussed the book "Atomic Habits" by James Clear. They talked about embodying the habits of someone you want to become instead of relying on motivation. If you set rules or a framework to follow, you'll eventually become that goal version of yourself.

I decided to give it a try. I found Peter Attia's podcast (The Drive) and listened to many episodes discussing exercise and healthy eating. I started following fitness influencers and doctors on Instagram. I surrounded myself with health and fitness influences digitally. I noticed the habits of different athletes and fit people, and began to adopt them. The rules I discuss here worked for me, but they may not work for you. I encourage you to find what keeps you happy and supports your fitness journey. This post is a way for me to share my journey and inspire others.

Nutrition

I gained a lot of weight because of junky eating. I enjoy dining out and eating chocolate by the pound. I was completing a master's degree in 2020, and COVID times did not help me deal with the stress. I coped by dining out because eating at home was neither as fun nor delicious. Every few weeks, I would go to a sushi buffet and eat as much as I could stomach. My goal was usually to leave a dining table feeling full. At night, I would go through multiple bars of chocolate while watching TV. These eating habits were in conjunction with barely moving at all. I considered spending an entire day on the couch a great day. Working hard in the gym caused me to make better diet choices. I ate less chocolate at night and tried to dine out less (at this point, I was eating at restaurants twice a week). My weight started to decrease, but the habits were tough to develop. It was a struggle to get to the gym every day or eat well more than two days in a row.

Around March 2021, my wife put together a series of meals that kept me on track while not leaving me craving restaurant food. Here is what my meals look like:

Breakfast

Coffee with heavy cream. Usually nothing else but a couple of times a week I have eggs, an almond flour pancake with no-sugar syrup, or a peanut butter sandwich (with low-carb toast).

Lunch

Salad with leftovers from the night before.

Dinner

Usually half a plate of meat and half a plate of veggies. My wife comes up with delicious dishes that always leave me satiated until lunch the next day. Occasionally I'll add some grains like quinoa or rice. Favorites include Thai curries, meatballs, zucchini lasagna, various types of roasted or grilled chicken (jerk, tandoori, kabobs, etc), and steak. My wife runs a food blog now and I do not want to self-promote here so DM me if you want my favorite recipes. I like a ton of flavor because it leaves me feeling like I'm not on a diet or restricting myself. I can't do the popular boiled/canned chicken with a side of broccoli. Snacks: If I get hungry between meals, I reach for a handful of nuts, a bowl of fruit, a low-carb protein shakes, or a low-carb bread sandwich.

Exercise

I've been following a lifting program called 5/3/1 since early 2021 and I really enjoy it. I'm not lifting a ton of weight (100lb bench, 115lb squat, 135lb deadlift, 75lb overhead press), but I get in the gym to lift 2-4 times a week. I'm not eating enough to gain muscle and enjoying how I feel right now.

I've been doing what most people would consider "a lot of cardio" since mid-2021 as well. Over the summer of 2021, I started riding my bike outdoors every two or three days. I gradually progressed from 10-mile rides to my longest ride of 31 miles. In Spring 2021, I started training for a half marathon. I ran 5 days a week maintaining a weekly mileage of roughly 10-15 miles. I ran the half marathon in 2 hrs and 15 minutes in July. If you want to follow me on Strava, please DM me! I post all my cardio activities there. I'm training for my second half marathon next month and running 20-25 miles a week. I also coach youth soccer/basketball on Saturdays (my rest day). I am really proud to have kept my weight below 160 this entire year. This does not mean that I didn't live my life. I went on a week-long cruise, vacationed with family all over the US, and probably dined out an average of one meal a week. I maintained a balance by not missing runs or gym days, trying to stay active, and finding healthy food options as much as I can.

submitted by /u/Shariq1989
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/LpXYPeI
213lb-158lb (55 lbs). How I did it and kept it off! 213lb-158lb (55 lbs). How I did it and kept it off! Reviewed by Health And Fitness on September 13, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger.